Finding Satisfaction

There I was, all “frumped out” at the grocery store. It had been a long day and I was in dire need of a shower and a coat of makeup. I was also in need of a few ingredients for dinner.  Against my better judgment, I had run out the door offering a prayer (yes, I know it was a shallow moment) that I wouldn’t bump into anyone I knew.  
With my bad hair day head down I quickly navigated the aisles throwing what I needed into the cart. “So far so good,” I thought to myself. Then it happened. Bam! I found myself face to face with someone I hadn’t seen in years. Of course she looked amazing. Her outfit was adorable and she had that “just stepped out of the hairstylists chair” hair going on. As we hugged I noticed that even her perfume was wonderful.  I sent up another quick prayer, “Lord, please don’t let my deodorant fail me now”.  Even smelling like Windex would be better than being stinky.
My friend was as kind and didn’t act as if she noticed the mess I was. We chatted and I fidgeted, trying to smooth my hair and hide my chipped nail polish. I offered an apology for my appearance and she was sweet enough to say something encouraging.  As we spent a moment catching up she shared what she had been up to.  I learned that her career had gone well, she and her husband enjoyed traveling, and they had recently renovated their home.  She wasn’t bragging; she was simply sharing her life.  While I am ashamed to admit it, I found myself dreading my turn to share.  She hadn’t made it a competition, that was all in my own mind.  However, I stood there feeling I paled in comparison.  Hoping I didn’t have anything in my teeth, I smiled and gave her the Reader’s Digest version of my life. I told her that I am a stay at home mom of 5, that I homeschool 3 of them, do a great deal of laundry, bake cookies, read bedtime stories, play board games and blog a little. I probably should have added that I typically shower, wear clean clothes and apply makeup but given how I looked, who would have believed me?
After we said our good-byes, I headed for the checkout and then to the minivan. I noticed her getting into her sports car across the parking lot.  If I hadn’t felt so miserable, it would have been funny. With a heavy heart, I headed home.  Upon my arrival I was greeted by our youngest kids and half the neighborhood.  I swear they can smell popsicles from a mile away!  Grateful for the help unloading, I doled out popsicles and spoiled their dinner.  Once they were all on the patio comparing purple and green tongues, I was alone with my thoughts.
I alternated between comparing myself to my friend and listening to my kids laughing on the patio.  Then my thoughts were interrupted as the rest of the gang arrived home for dinner.  Before I knew it, we were all seated around the table, sharing details of our day, and talking at once. Two hours later, we cleared the table and moved the conversation and fun into the family room.
Later that night when I finally hit the shower, my perspective had changed.  I smiled as the evening replayed in my mind.  Before bed I grabbed my Bible and turned to Galatians 6:4—
Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else.
When I turned out the lights, I felt content and satisfied with my life. I may never split the atom but I can split up the last piece of cake between my kids.  My minivan isn’t a Mercedes convertible but it is filled with some of the most precious people in the world.  We may never make it to Europe but we do have some amazing times eating s’mores around the bonfire together.  Life is good and I don’t need to compare myself to anyone else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving & Serving Others

Where the Tweet Hits the Street or A White Suburban Woman's Call to Confront Racism

Sidewalk Chalk, Christmas Lights & Fruit