He Calms My Storms

When evening came, Jesus said to his disciples, "Let's go over to the other side of the lake." 36 They left the crowd behind. And they took him along in a boat, just as he was. There were also other boats with him.  A wild storm came up. Waves crashed over the boat. It was about to sink. Jesus was in the back, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him up. They said, "Teacher! Don't you care if we drown?" He got up and ordered the wind to stop. He said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down. And it was completely calm.  He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Don't you have any faith at all yet?" They were terrified. They asked each other, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!" (Mark 4:35-41 NIRV)
 A few nights ago some major thunderstorms came through Muskego.  Our weather radio went off five times.  Our home was lit by an amazing lightening show and shook by loud thunder. The next morning I awoke to a sunny, cloudless sky and virtually no wind. Suffice to say, it was quite a contrast to the night before.
I woke up thinking about storms because I had very recently experienced not only the severe thunderstorm, but also an emotional storm.  As my feet hit the floor I looked out the window and gave thanks for the sunshine. I also realized that the turmoil from the emotional storm I had gone through had subsided. Somewhere in the night he had whispered to my soul, “Peace! Be Still!” I had poured my heart out to Him and cast my burden at His feet and He faithfully answered.
As I began my day in the Word, I immediately went to the gospel accounts of Jesus calming the storm.  I started thinking about the storm he calmed in my heart and was tempted to relive the details of the storm.  My thoughts began to head down that path and then I looked down at my Bible and saw the words “Do you still have no faith?”  He had calmed my storm; there was no reason to relive it.  Why would I choose to mentally relive the storm? Would meditating on it bring me peace? Absolutely not!
Once the storm is over, we need to embrace the sunshine and still waters with a heart filled with gratitude.  I am convinced we need to just be still in that moment and take in His goodness.  We don’t need to worry about when the next storm is coming.  Sure, another storm will pop up eventually but we don’t need to be fearful.  Remember His words “Why are you so afraid? Don’t you have any faith yet?”  Choose not to be afraid.  Choose to trust in the One who can truly say with all authority “Peace! Be Still”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving & Serving Others

Where the Tweet Hits the Street or A White Suburban Woman's Call to Confront Racism

Sidewalk Chalk, Christmas Lights & Fruit