That's Going to Leave a Mark

My children have inherited many things from us, including a warped sense of humor. This was incredibly evident at an early age in our son, Matthew.  When he was just a preschooler, he and my husband were watching cartoons one Saturday morning. They happened to be watching Wile E. Coyote in his never ending pursuit of the elusive Road Runner.  When an anvil hit Wile E. on the head (as it always does) my son said, “That’s going to leave a mark”. 
I was thinking about that story the other day and the phrase, “that’s going to leave a mark” got stuck in my head.  It had me wondering about the ways I leave a mark.  True, I don’t typically go around dropping anvils on people’s heads. In fact, I’ve never thrown an anvil.  However, I do use many, many words daily and those words have the power to leave a mark.
Each and every day I am blessed with the opportunity to speak and interact with my family, friends, neighbors, and total strangers. Sometimes I totally underestimate the responsibility that goes along with each conversation I have. Words are powerful.  As the old saying goes, “It’s up to me to choose whether to use my power for good or evil”.  Proverbs 18:21 says:
Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.
Essentially this verse tells us that what we say will have an effect that is either positive or negative. I can use words to encourage and build up others or I can use words to hurt and destroy them. Either way, I’m going to leave a mark.
My prayer is that the Lord will make me continually aware of the power of the words I use and grant me wisdom, no matter who I am speaking to. Each conversation we have is an opportunity to “use our power for good”.  No exchange is insignificant. It doesn’t matter if I am speaking to my family or exchanging pleasantries with a sales clerk. I am also seeking to be careful in the words I write on this blog, via email, text messages or on Facebook.   I love the way the NIRV puts it in Proverbs 16:23-24:
The hearts of wise people guide their mouths. Their words make people want to learn more. Pleasant words are like honey. They are sweet to the spirit and bring healing to the body.
My prayer is that the Lord guides us with each word we say. May we use words that are uplifting and healing.  Ultimately, may we be a blessing to others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving & Serving Others

Where the Tweet Hits the Street or A White Suburban Woman's Call to Confront Racism

Sidewalk Chalk, Christmas Lights & Fruit