Seeking Shelter

The too familiar tornado siren sounded once again. This time it was in the middle of the night. Randy and I ran to our children’s rooms to rouse them out of bed. With the basset hound in tow we all headed down the basement stairs. This was the third time in just under two weeks. The previous tornado touched down a little over a mile away. Checking the radar, we could see this twister was headed right down the highway in our direction. Once again, too close for comfort. Taking no chances, we climbed under the pool table and waited. Randy and I did our best to keep everyone calm and reassured them that we were safe.  Finally the storm passed and headed out to a farm field, wearing itself out.  We all went back to bed and tried to get a little more sleep.
I have never experienced a summer quite like that one. Honestly, I lost track of how many times that siren sent us seeking refuge in the basement.  One of the twisters that came through did quite a bit of damage to our city. Thankfully there was no loss of life, only property.
 Seeking refuge took on a very clear meaning to me during that summer. Sirens sounded and without hesitation we headed for shelter. Remembering all this has me thinking about seeking refuge spiritually.   As I read Psalm 91:2
I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."
I am so grateful that God truly is our refuge. The word “refuge” means shelter or protection from danger or distress. While sirens don’t literally go off when my soul needs refuge, there are warning signs that I can heed. When I’m feeling emotions that are contrary to God’s will for me such as anxiety, I need to head for the shelter of His arms.
Are there sirens going off in your life right now? If so, don’t hesitate to run for shelter. Spend some time in prayer, reading your Bible and seeking after God. He is ready and able to be your refuge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving & Serving Others

Where the Tweet Hits the Street or A White Suburban Woman's Call to Confront Racism

Sidewalk Chalk, Christmas Lights & Fruit