Poor Mii

Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. (1 Corinthians 9:26)
            A couple of years ago we gave our kids a Wii System for Christmas. One of the games we’ve purchased is Wii Fit.  It turns out that I am the one who uses that particular cd the most.  I enjoy “biking” my “mii” around a tropical island while searching for flags and trying to beat my best time. One morning I decided to take a break from “biking”.  As I scrolled through the options, “boxing” caught my eye. Honestly, I was feeling a little lazy that morning and thought that it might be an easier workout.  With remote and nunchuck in hand, I began.  Boxing the air, how difficult can that be?
            Twenty minutes later, arms aching and drenched in sweat, I had my answer.  Boxing the air was exhausting! My invisible opponent was unfazed. On the other hand, I desperately needed a shower.  Needless to say, I do not hold high score for Wii boxing at our house! Poor “mii”!
            A few weeks later, I was at a Bible Study and we were discussing 1 Corinthians 9:24-27, and the need for self-discipline. The women around the table shared areas they struggled with.  The most common struggle was with worry.  We shared how disciplining our minds to trust and not worry was difficult.  When it comes down to it, you have a choice to either worry or trust.  Our minds like our bodies can be disciplined and trained.
            Sitting around that table, I shared my “boxing” experience. I had firsthand experience with “beating the air” and my opponent was none the worse for the wear.  I, on the other hand, was exhausted. 
            Isn’t worry a lot like “beating the air”? It does nothing to change your circumstance. Worrying only leaves you exhausted-physically, emotionally and spiritually. Your opponent claims the victory and you’re left drenched in fear and doubt.
            Worrying isn’t a worthwhile workout. Instead, of beating the air; why not hit your knees and pray.  1 Peter 5:7 tells us “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you”.   Instead of choosing to worry, why not choose to shot put your burdens? The word cast literally means to “throw forcefully”.  Picture that in your mind!  How liberating would it be to draw back and hurl your burden away?
            Just as we discussed that morning in Bible Study, it takes discipline. We need to choose trust over worry.  Instead of meditating on what’s troubling us, we need to meditate on God’s Word.  It’s filled with HIS promises!  I’m still in training, each and every single day.  Things happen that concern me.  I am faced with the choice of boxing the air or shot putting cares, knowing they will land in capable hands.  My daily prayer for me and for you is that we won’t let our thoughts run aimlessly. Rather, may we all focus on truth and trust in HIM.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Loving & Serving Others

Where the Tweet Hits the Street or A White Suburban Woman's Call to Confront Racism

Sidewalk Chalk, Christmas Lights & Fruit