Diamonds in the Sand


            Several years ago a friend of mine was vacationing in the Caribbean. One afternoon after snorkeling, she and her husband were walking along the beach. As my friend gently brushed her bare feet over the soft sand she felt something hard beneath. Bending down, she expected to pick up a shell but found instead, what appeared to be a diamond ring.  My friend showed it to her husband who laughed and totally discounted the idea that the ring could be real. In fact, he almost chucked it into the ocean. At her insistence, he gave her the ring and she slipped it in her pocket. They looked around the deserted beach in hopes of trying to find the owner. Eventually they made their way back to their hotel and forgot about the ring in her pocket.

            When my friend returned home and began unpacking, she found the ring. A few days later she took it to a jeweler, just out of curiosity. It turned out that the ring was very old and very real. The largest diamond was well over a karat. Most likely it had been lost on the beach in the early 1900s.  My friend had found a great treasure!

            As I was reading my Bible the other day, I came across this verse:

I rejoice in your word like one who discovers a great treasure. (Psalm 119:162)

            This passage reminded me of the story I just shared with you. God’s promises and His Word, like the diamond in the sand, are ageless and valuable. As I study His Word I am reminded that it is living and active.  Sometimes as I study, I have those unexpected “diamonds in the sand” moments. It never ceases to amaze me how alive His Word is. Like my friend, I can just be leisurely traveling across a passage and suddenly a treasure is before my eyes.

            While finding a diamond on a Caribbean beach is wonderful; finding treasure in God’s Word is even more wonderful. I encourage you to open His Word, dig deep, and find treasure that will never perish, spoil or fade.

                                                                                    Be Blessed!

                                                                                    Leslie        

Comments

  1. I really like your story. It reminds me of a wonderful passage in Matthew 13:

    44 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. 45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. 46 When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved how you tied the story in with God's word on treasures. Very true and delightful and well stated. God bless you, Leslie. =0)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Loving & Serving Others

Where the Tweet Hits the Street or A White Suburban Woman's Call to Confront Racism

Sidewalk Chalk, Christmas Lights & Fruit