Walking in Freedom

“I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts” (Psalm 119:45)


One of my favorite Christmas movies is the 1951 version of “A Christmas Carol” with Alastair Sim. I love that movie. Of all the actors ever to play Scrooge, I believe Mr. Sim best personifies the character. Everyone has heard of Ebenezer Scrooge and identifies with him on some level. His “bah hum bug” is a familiar sound to our ears.

As I was reading my Bible this morning I was reminded of another character in the story, Jacob Marley. Jacob is, of course, Scrooge’s deceased business partner and the first ghost to visit Scrooge. Who can forget the sound of his clanking chains and the sight of him bearing his burden as he painstakingly crosses the room? Being a visual person, I'm always quite struck by the sight of Mr. Marley enduring the burden of his self made iron bonds.

As I read Psalm 119:45 today the words “I will walk about in freedom” rang in my mind. As I considered them, I started thinking of Jacob Marley and his chains. I couldn’t help but think about my own self made chains. How many links do I needlessly forge and allow to weigh me down? Though not physical links, these burdens exhaust me as I struggle under their weight.  I create my chains out of worry, fear, anxiety, regret and stress. I become a self created “hob goblin” as I drag them around. My mind, consumed with these thoughts, needlessly carries the weight of the world. Why do I choose this emotional bondage when God, who is always faithful, has promised to carry my burdens? His Word is full of promises.


Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall. (Psalm 55:2)

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
(Matthew 11:28)


Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:6)

My human frame, in and of itself is insufficient to carry the weight of this world. I need to cast off my chains and walk in freedom. Today I am reminded that when I am tempted to forge a chain, I need to make a conscious decision to commit my burden into the hands that are capable of bearing it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving & Serving Others

Where the Tweet Hits the Street or A White Suburban Woman's Call to Confront Racism

Sidewalk Chalk, Christmas Lights & Fruit