The Sound of Silence




Last week we attended an Ash Wednesday service at our church. The sanctuary was darkened and quiet, setting a contemplative tone. This was the first Ash Wednesday service I’d ever attended, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. As the service began, we silently read scriptures that were displayed on the screen as violins played. It took me to a place, a place where I began to reflect on what I would do with these 46 days before Easter.

At the end of the service we were given time to sit silently, searching our hearts before God. As our pastor said, silence can be uncomfortable. In all honesty, I struggle with silence. It is a hole I want to fill. However, that night I was able to embrace the silence and listen through it. The music, conversations, and random thoughts were not present. There was only the Holy Spirit and me. It was an amazing time. HE spoke to my heart, encouraging me and challenging me.

As we move into the days preceding Easter Sunday, I feel led to seek more silence in my life. My heart’s desire is to experience more moments spent in intimacy with the Holy Spirit. Instead of abstaining from a particular food or beverage, I am purposing to abstain from some of the noise I fill my atmosphere with. I’m trusting the Lord to provide the opportunity for these moments in my everyday life. I must confess that initially it has felt a little awkward. It’s amazing how tempting it is to fill the silence with something, with anything. Silence is a discipline that HE is teaching me. With each passing day I find more peace in these silent moments. There is nothing sweeter than hearing HIM speak to my heart as HE shepherds me through this life.

“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” (John 10:27)

Blessings to you!

Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving & Serving Others

Where the Tweet Hits the Street or A White Suburban Woman's Call to Confront Racism

Sidewalk Chalk, Christmas Lights & Fruit