The Island of Misfit Toys



                I love all things Christmas. The celebration at the Manske home begins the day after Thanksgiving and continues throughout the month of December. One of our many traditions is to watch dozens of Christmas movies. Included in the list is the classic Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. I’m sure you’re all familiar with the story. After all, we know that Rudolph went down in history! Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer reminds us that even “misfits” have a purpose in this life.

                Being a misfit is something we all can identify with. This is especially true in the church. Our pastor often refers to all of us (including himself) as a “glorious mess”. I couldn’t agree more.  The church really is a collection of misfit toys.  Seated in the congregation each Sunday are dozens of “Charlie in Boxes”, water pistols that shoot jelly, spotted elephants, boats that cannot stay afloat, dollies named Sue,  Hermeys, and many more. 

While I can identify with many of the misfit toys, Hermey is the one I truly relate to. As you recall, Hermey was an elf who didn’t like to make toys. The others didn’t understand why he didn’t fit in the mold they cast for him.  I have personally had my share of “Hermey” experiences in my church life. As a mother of 5, people once assumed that my calling was children’s ministry. Nothing could be further from the truth. Let me be clear. I love my children. I love other people’s children. However, I would rather fall on a sharp object than work in the nursery, VBS, or any kid’s club. Just as poor Hermey endured cries of “Hermey doesn’t like to make toys”, I heard the whispers of “Leslie doesn’t like to work with kids.” Thankfully things have worked out well for both of us. Hermey was allowed to pursue his call to dentistry and I am blessed to be able to write and speak.
  
The good news is that God uses misfits to accomplish His will. The Bible is full of misfits who were used by God in mighty ways. A stuttering murderer was used to lead God’s people out of bondage. A man who made many mistakes in life was called a man after God’s own heart.  A quick tempered and impulsive fisherman who denied Jesus 3 times was lovingly restored and made a fisher of men.  A young woman from a place deemed the wrong side of the tracks (Nazareth) was chosen to deliver the one who delivered us from our sins. 

Today I encourage you to embrace who you are, who God made you to be. You’re not alone. We are all misfits. I am so thankful that the church and the Kingdom are full of misfits. To quote Rudolph and Yukon Cornelius:

We may be different from the rest
Who decides the test
Of what is really best?
We're a couple of misfits
We're a couple of misfits
What's the matter with misfits
That's where we fit in!

My friends, we were not created in a haphazard way. We are not mistakes. You and I are his workmanship, created in HIM for HIS good works. Let’s go forward and serve HIM.

Wishing you blessings in abundance!


Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving & Serving Others

Where the Tweet Hits the Street or A White Suburban Woman's Call to Confront Racism

Sidewalk Chalk, Christmas Lights & Fruit