Praise & Road Rage


                The day began well. I woke up, grabbed a cup of coffee and my Bible and spent some quality time in the Word. Then I set some praise and worship music to shuffle on my iPod while doing some housework.  After I was done, I grabbed my car keys and headed to the store to pick up a few things. I turned on the radio and began to sing along with one of my favorite worship songs. There I was, headed down the road, praising the Lord and it happened. Out of nowhere, a car cut me off and proceeded in front of me at 20 miles per hour.  Before I knew it my hands were raised, not in worship, but rather in frustration.  My song of praise was replaced with a tirade directed at the oblivious slow poke in front of me. 

            With no route of escape on a one lane road, I followed my tortoise-like offender all the way to the grocery store.  My foot barely touched the gas pedal and I kept tapping the brake so I wouldn’t rear-end the tail lights that were making me see red.  I had left the house in a great mood and in no particular hurry. One minute I was signing my heart out with praise and the next I was livid and ranting at the cause of my delay.

            Finally we reached the grocery store and I pulled into a parking space just down the row from the offender. Thankfully she was equally slow getting out of her car and I was out of the car and well into the store well before her. I grabbed the items I needed and was quickly out of the store.

            My ride home was quiet and less eventful. I turned off the radio because I didn’t feel like singing anymore. The events of the day replayed in my mind. I thought about a day that started so well and suddenly went so horribly wrong.  The irritation I felt soon disappeared and was replaced with deep conviction.  As I drove home I literally shook my head at myself.  Why did I choose to behave so badly? I wasn’t even in a hurry, so what difference did a few minutes mean?

            I returned home, feeling quite convicted and humbled. After I’d put the groceries away, I grabbed my Bible and headed to the words that were already echoing in my mind.

[Jesus said] "You are the light of the world. Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16)

And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right! (James 3:10 NLT)

            The day began so well. I awoke and headed to the Word to “charge up my light”. Then I  walked out the door with every intention of letting that light shine. I headed down the road with praise pouring out of my mouth and allowed one little thing to change my praise to ugly words of frustration.  I could have responded to the situation by showing grace and mercy, but I didn’t.

            Typically I am not a person who loses her temper. I usually avoid confrontation. By nature I am a “people pleaser” and want people to like me. However, when I’m alone in the car another side of me comes out. That day made me realize that I do have a temper, I just tried to hide it. That day reminded me that you can’t hide things, especially from God.

“For everything that is hidden will eventually be brought into the open, and every secret will be brought to light”. (Mark 4:22 NLT)

I had set out that day thinking I would be the light and instead my secret was brought to light. While it was a humbling experience, I am grateful. God continues to work in my life and loves me enough to develop my character, even when I’m all alone behind the wheel of my car.  

“For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him”. (Philippians 2:13 NLT)

            I am a work in progress and so grateful that He fills me with the desire and power to overcome even episodes of closet road rage.

 

                                                            Be Blessed!

 

                                                              Leslie

Comments

  1. Enjoyed the unabashed honesty of this post, Leslie. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie, I love your humor and can relate so much (so glad I caught my typo of 'cant relate.' ) That really would have discouraged you! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Loving & Serving Others

Where the Tweet Hits the Street or A White Suburban Woman's Call to Confront Racism

Sidewalk Chalk, Christmas Lights & Fruit