Homeschooling In High Heels



       

     Yesterday I blogged about “the road less traveled”. One of the roads less traveled that I am currently on is reflected in our decision to homeschool our three youngest children.  Sometimes as I travel this road I feel like a modern day “Dorothy”, except that my slippers aren’t always ruby. Anyone who has seen my shoe closet can attest that as I travel “somewhere over the rainbow” I have a few dozen shoes representing every color of the rainbow.
            Each day my three companions (Carly, Matthew & Jacob) and I, along with our trusty basset hound, travel the yellow brick road in search of wisdom. While pursuing wisdom we also are seeking to develop their hearts and give them the courage it takes to persevere in life.
            Traveling this road is a joy and an adventure. As we travel together, I am learning as much as they are. What we’re learning isn’t purely academic. As I seek to help them develop their character, I am often the student. I’m so grateful for this season and the opportunity to travel this road. While we don’t link arms and skip down the path, I do believe this time has linked our hearts in a very special way.
            I don’t want to mislead you. There are some days that are difficult. While I’m not being pursued by an angry witch whose sister I inadvertently dropped a house on, there are challenges.  Sometimes I feel like the rusted tin man and have trouble getting myself and the kids moving. There are also days that I am far from the sweet and heroic Dorothy. I also confess there are days when you might envision my chief mode of transportation a broomstick.
            Dorothy is a character I can truly identify with. She abruptly landed on a road less traveled, found she “was not in Kansas anymore” and began down the road on which she was placed.  Dorothy was a character that tried to help or improve those she held dear. She also sought to liberate them so they could independently walk the road before them. Ultimately, we share the same goals. I’m seeking to educate my children while equipping them to mature to a place of independence. Of course, Dorothy and I also have the shoe connection going on!
            Like Dorothy, I do have those “not in Kanas anymore” moments. I’ve found that being a homeschooler in high heels doesn’t lend itself well to fitting in amongst many in the world of homeschooling. I’ve learned that showing up at some homeschooling events in jeans, stilettos, lacy top and funky jewelry makes you stand out much as Dorothy did when she landed in Oz. I am ok with that. I’ve learned that we’re on the same road, but I’m just walking it in stilettos. I just have to be secure in who the Lord made me to be and continue down the road with my three companions and my little dog too.
            I also know that there are many different roads and the Lord chooses the right ones for each of us. The road I’m traveling may not be the same as the one you’re heading down. I also know that because we can be so passionate about the road we travel, it is possible to think ours is the best road. It’s important to remember that what’s right for me may not be right for you and vice versa. It is a great big diverse world out there. Children can thrive, learn and grow in a variety of environments. It doesn’t matter if your classroom is down the road or in the dining room. It also doesn’t matter if your teacher wears a jean jumper and sensible shoes or jeans and stilettos. What does matter is allowing the Lord to direct your path.
“Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.” (Psalm 143:10)

            My prayer for you is that as you will be blessed as you walk in obedience down the road HE has placed you on.

You're blessed when you stay on course, walking steadily on the road revealed by God. (Psalm 119:1 The Message)

                                        Be Blessed, My Friends!

                                            Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving & Serving Others

Where the Tweet Hits the Street or A White Suburban Woman's Call to Confront Racism

Sidewalk Chalk, Christmas Lights & Fruit