Focus

                Truth be told, I often struggle with staying focused. Focusing fully on a task does not come naturally to me. Over the years I have learned to disciple myself to maintain focus. For instance, I clean my house from one end to the other. I begin in the mudroom and then move on to the family room and so on. Should my task require me to leave the “zone” I am in, I am careful to immediately return and not be distracted by another task I may see. My goal is to give my whole focus to the task at hand.
          My lack of focus isn’t limited to domestic duties. Conversations with me can change on a dime. My poor husband learned early on that I don’t signal before a subject change. I am also prone to wander when shopping with someone. Something down the aisle catches my eye and I am off. Unfortunately my shopping partners are often unaware that Leslie has left the aisle and look a little unstable talking to themselves.
          Spiritually I sometimes struggle with maintaining focus too. My heart’s desire is to live my life wholly focused on God. Unfortunately, I get distracted. The other morning I was journaling and was struck by the word “wholehearted”. Psalm 119:10 says
I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.”
          In Luke 10:27 we are commanded:
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'
          Proverbs 3:5 tell us:
“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.”
          These verses got me thinking about the fact that something is either all or a fraction of. When it comes to love and trust, most of us would agree that all is the goal. My husband wouldn’t want to hear that I love him with half of my heart. No mother would ever say they love their children with a small portion of their heart. A friend would be insulted if I told them I halfheartedly trusted them with a confidence.
          As I pondered all this I felt a deep conviction within my soul. I long to be a wholehearted Christian but there are so many distractions. My mind wanders and takes my focus off what is truly important. I am so grateful that the One who created me loves me despite my failures. Most of all I’m grateful that His love never fails.
                                                          Be Blessed!
                                                          Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving & Serving Others

Where the Tweet Hits the Street or A White Suburban Woman's Call to Confront Racism

Sidewalk Chalk, Christmas Lights & Fruit