My Plumbing Overfloweth!


            A few minutes ago I was having a conversation with a friend about women and our struggles with emotions. The conversation centered on not giving the enemy a foothold. We all know the enemy loves to gain a foothold and then barges in, disrupting our lives and stealing our peace.  I was sharing that when I am consistently in the Word and in prayer, my reactions to difficult situations tend to be calmer. In other words, I don’t lose it over whatever little disaster I’m facing.

            After the conversation, I ran downstairs to switch out the loads from the washers to the dryers. Yes, I did mean to use the plural of both appliances. We have a big family and I average 25 loads a week. Doubling up on appliances helps me keep on top of the laundry situation. At any rate, as I was in the basement, I heard water running from upstairs. I didn’t think much of it at the time. After the next loads of laundry were in motion, I headed upstairs and grabbed my laptop. Before the browser opened, I was greeted with, “The toilet in my bathroom is overflowing”.  Immediately, I raised my hands, looked up and said, “Really?”

            I am all for practical applications for Biblical principles in everyday life, but really? The words were barely out of my mouth when I looked down at my son, who was crying big old tears and saying he was sorry. I took him in my arms and held him close, telling him it was ok. Then, armed with a plunger, rolls of paper towels, a garbage bag, and bleach, I headed up another flight of stairs. I faced the flooded bathroom and worked till the water receded.  I wasn’t going to let this little flood destroy my day.

            Don’t you just love how God works? His timing is perfect. I’m filing this one under “practice what you preach” because I know there will be other floods on other days. It is so easy to “talk the talk” but as my husband often says, “to walk your talk” is what’s really important. My little flood was a humbling reminder of this.

            My friends, I’m praying for you today. May the Lord give you grace, strength, and wisdom to deal with whatever waters that rise around you.

                                                                        Blessings!
                                                                        Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving & Serving Others

Where the Tweet Hits the Street or A White Suburban Woman's Call to Confront Racism

Sidewalk Chalk, Christmas Lights & Fruit