Worship in a Hammock


This afternoon there were half a dozen things I felt I should have been doing. The “Martha” part of me struggled against the “Mary” part of me. Mary won.  Today I ignored the call of the vacuum, laundry, and dusting. Today I chose to sit at HIS feet.
            I grabbed my Bible and my IPhone and met HIM there in the middle of the afternoon, in my backyard. It was one of the loveliest worship services I’ve ever attended. The bright blue sky was decorated with fluffy cotton ball clouds. There I was, in my hammock with praise and worship music floating on the air.  I read His Word and sang out loud. (I didn’t even care what the neighbors thought)  I felt His spirit touch me like a gentle breeze.
            I continued to worship in my backyard sanctuary, praising the Creator of the Universe. As if on cue, I saw a brilliant red cardinal and the tiniest hummingbird. Talk about bringing the Word to life! It was almost too wonderful to take in.
            It was a great worship service, attended by two. I’m so thankful that today I silenced the “Martha” in me. She is a hard worker and gets many things done. However, sometimes she loses track of what is really important. Today I chose what was better and it will not be taken from me.

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.  She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.  But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “You are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:38-42)

                                                           Blessings!

                                                           Leslie

Comments

  1. One of great things about being able to "Worship in Spirit and in Truth" is that we have the Spirit residing in us. When we are able to set aside the business and commotion of our lives and begin to rest--resting in Him- the most enjoyable moments begin with and in Him. There is nothing greater this side of Heaven.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Loving & Serving Others

Where the Tweet Hits the Street or A White Suburban Woman's Call to Confront Racism

Sidewalk Chalk, Christmas Lights & Fruit